Re: Skins was Re: [OM] thoughts on ...etc.........

Subject: Re: Skins was Re: [OM] thoughts on ...etc.........
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:30:07 -0500
>Maybe we need a Northwest version OM 4t with Sockeye red salmon skin,
>WATERPROOF ofcourse or seals beyond moisture seals, with image stabilizing
>lenses (for the quakes) and throw in some riot-proof grade titanium as well
>if heading to Seattle for anything.

I've heard that eel skin is very tough. I'm fairly certain that most of the
lizard and snake skins that Morgan offers were from animals slaughtered for
food.

But, speaking of titanium, why, or why, has no manufacturer, at least to my
knowledge, every made the lens bodies from the stuff? Lenses are a
significant part of the total weight of the camera.

It seems to me that the top and bottom body covers are not a significant
contributor to the weight of the body, so the real reason for using it is to
prevent dents. If the internal castings of the bodies were made from cast
magnesium instead of aluminum, there would probably be a more significant
weight saving. I understand that several new cameras have magnesium bodies,
maybe the E-10 does? I think there is a new, more economical way to use
magnesium that was invented recently, I'll have to research it. I also think
that there's a new, less expensive process for making parts from titanium
also. Here's hoping.....
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright