[OM] Re: OM2000 (was "Nikon School")

Subject: [OM] Re: OM2000 (was "Nikon School")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 12:28:11 -0600
There's a lot of OM2000 discussion in the archives, if you have the
stomach for it. It's a nice, light camera with some useful features --
the only body I feel really comfortable using for tripod-mounted, long
exposures in the winter.  I like the timer for aperture stopdown/MLU. I
wish the OM-2S and OM-4 had the same kind of mechanical timer.  I have
never shot
a double exposure with it. Not my kind of photography.  The double
exposure feature is more useful in my mind for flashing film, but I
don't do this much anymore since I am able to extract quite a bit of
shadow detail in slides now with my Polaroid scanner. (Flashing has some
compromises involved as regards tonalities too.)

Other than these circumstances, I prefer the regular, "real" OM's. OM-1
on a winder is wonderful for handheld work. I think I am a little more
receptive to the OM2000 because Nikon FM2 and FE2 used to be my normal
cameras, and the layout of the OM2000 is quite similar to an FM2, but I
prefer the
regular OMs to the OM2000 for the same reasons I prefer them to the
Nikons.

I think it is very good value for the money, especially if you adopt a
"camera is just a film transport for my Zuikos" attitude (at least for
the duration). That sounds like but is not meant to be faint praise.

Joel W.