Re: [OM] Was...21....now Eugene Richards pic

Subject: Re: [OM] Was...21....now Eugene Richards pic
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:35:59 -0500
> tmlee wrote:
> >
> > Where can I see Eugene Richard's pics ?
>
> Try this link, it has a few
> http://www.mdri.org/whatsnew/mdri-nyt.htm
>
> Here is a photo essay
> http://www.time.com/time/daily/special/photo/dying/
>
> Being a documentary photographer, his work is rarely displayed. He has
> published several books.
>
> later,
> mike m.

Thanks for the links, Mike.  This is powerful stuff.  I wouldn't be
surprised if Richards spent some time as a kid looking at W. Eugene Smith
photos.  If anything, his technique is even better.  These pictures don't
look as manipulated as Smith's.  Smith used to spend hours and days pulling
a good print out of an impossible negative.  Richard's tonal range covers
just about everything you can squeeze out of film; the whites seem luminous.
He uses composition to tell a story: the 2nd photo in the essay, for
instance.  I'd like to know what camera (format) he uses, what film, and how
he processes his prints.  Most of you have probably heard this, but Smith's
printing was so arresting that lots of photographers tried to find out his
secret.  It came out that he smoked while he printed, and cigarette ash
would fall in the developer tray.  So everybody started putting ash in their
developer!
JP