Buying stuff online (WAS: RE: [OM] FS: 135mm/f4.5 Macro)

Subject: Buying stuff online (WAS: RE: [OM] FS: 135mm/f4.5 Macro)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:11:45 -0700
> I don't think you will be disappointed....and since there has been some
> discussion about less than honest list members, there is a 14 day trial
> period (although I kind of thought this was implied among list
> members.)

I've learned from my buying experiences, both on-list and on e-Bay to
not assume ANYTHING!  If you only assume it, it DOESN'T exist!  If it's
important to you and it isn't explicitly stated, ASK!

> Having said that, I reckon your explicitly mentioning the trial period
> should help perk up the interest of any potential buyers on the list.

I think the biggest "risk" of buying something on e-Bay (or the list) is the
fact that you can't physically hold, touch, and test it.  So, even though it
might "look" good, it might not meet one's expectations once it arrives
and you DO get to hold/touch/test it.  That's why the "money back if not
satisfied" policy is SO important!  If the words "no questions asked" is
attached to that policy, so much the better!

I once did a refund on an OM-10 because the buyer just wasn't happy
with his purchase.  I could have said, "Sorry, but it's as-described and
the fact that you're just not happy and changed your mind is YOUR
problem!"  But, frankly, I empathized with his plight and did the refund
anyway.  I even split the shipping costs with him...  he paid the return
shipping, and I included his original shipping cost in the refund.

Since then, the guy has bought several items from me.  So, in the end,
I've done VERY well by being more than fair to the guy.

Of course, that's just MY policy....  other folks may have different views.
 Like I said...  If it ain't explicitly stated and it's important to you, ask.
And keep asking until you're satisfied you understand what you're
buying and what the terms are.

Regards,

Chris

---