Re: [OM] OT - Adelaide, South Australia

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Adelaide, South Australia
From: davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (David Thatcher)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:52:46 +1030 (CST)
Wayne wrote:
> I will be spending next weekend in Adelaide, South Australia.  What are the
> "must see" sights close to the city ?

Depends what you are into (photography wise that is), & what 'close'
means!!! :-)

within walking distance: the torrens lake on the northern side of the
city square mile, ducks, swans, the popeye boats, fountain, rotunda.
Architecturally, the town hall, the GPO, Victoria Square fountain, the
Freemason's Hall, the railway station, the university (last three on
north terrace), St Peters Cathedral (it IS known as the city of
Churches). Myer Centre & Santos Building (last two recent
constructions). Trams to Glenelg (holdfast bay- first part of the
colony) terminate at Victoria square.

a bit further afield:  Mt Lofty (highest elevation) or Windy Point
(both less than 20km SE of the city) provide a magnificent view of the
city & inner suburbs.  Waterfall Gully/Cleland national park near Mt
Lofty (closed on fire ban days), Hallett Cove (30 odd km, interesting
rock formations), barossa valley (60km or so- wines exported from here
to europe- many old towns with old wineries.

I trust you will enjoy your stay, e-mail me off-list for  further
information if you wish..

DavidT
Adelaide
South Australia