Re: [OM] NGM Advertisements dedicated to Mr Maitani

Subject: Re: [OM] NGM Advertisements dedicated to Mr Maitani
From: Dirk and Carla Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 19:09:17 -0500
At 10:05 PM +0100 3/4/01, Erwin Voogt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In 1980 Olympus published two remarkable advertisements in National
>Geographic Magazine: both were dedicated to the designer of the OM system,
>Mr Maitani.
>May be you all know them already (I don't read the digests very often), but
>for those who have never seen these advertisements I have published both on
>my website: http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html
>At the bottom there is a links section where you can find the link to the
>Olympus Maitani page.

You know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking that Olympus is only keeping the
OM system alive while Mr. Maitani is still alive. As soon as he's gone, I'd
expect Olympus to dump the OM system. This may sound corny to us
westerners, but I think it is possible that Olympus is doing this out of
respect for Mr. Maitani. I'm not Japanese, nor am I well versed in the
customs of that country, but a respect for elders and other forms of
respect for esteemed colleages is not uncommon I believe. Any of the
Japanese members of this list like to comment?

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright