Re: [OM] Help! Camera or lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Help! Camera or lens
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 20:38:36 -0000
Bill says

One combination of camera and lens has developed a problem.

Symptom: Pushing the shutter results in sort of a thud and the camera
jams before firing the shutter. New batteries were the first thought;
still thud. Pushing the lens release and twisting the lens slightly
towards off fires the shutter. Further playing around shows if the
lens
is mounted normally and then twisted back towards off (without lens
release) much more likely to fire successfully. Smaller apertures seem
to be more likely to jam.

Same body with several other lenses no problem. Same lens several
other
bodies no problem.

Is this a problem with the camera, the lens or just an example of the
corollary to Murphy's law about tolerances?
<<<<

This is exactly the same problem as I had with the 90/2 and 4Ti - all
other lenses were OK on that body, and that lens was fine on other
bodies. Looking through the back of mine on B showed that the lever
which actuates the stop-down was jamming on the back of the lens
mount.

I took body and lens together to the repairers (Luton Cameras in
Bristol, England). At the first visit the engineer was beffled and
said it was probably bad luck with the tolerances and there wasn't
much he could do about it. When I went back to collect the other stuff
from CLA, I was all set to leave the lens and body with him, to see if
exchanging the lens mount or filing it down a bit would work. He
played with it for a while and eventually got it working perfectly.

So the answer to Bill's question
> Which one goes to the shop?
is both!

John