Re: [OM] Serious Backpacking (WAS Newly Introduced)

Subject: Re: [OM] Serious Backpacking (WAS Newly Introduced)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 11:06:28 -0700
At 10:00 PM 3/2/01 +0000, Donald MacDonald wrote:

[snip]

The one environment I haven't tested them in is very high humidity. I suspect this is the worst thing for them. Even in 'no shade'
conditions in Morocco they didn't flinch. Lowest temperature was probably
Braemar, early eighties, around -24. The meter still worked.

I reckon they're pretty tough.

I've used my OM-4 in high-humidity, cool temperature environments. The worst was on a mountaintop in British Columbia in August 1999, shrouded by cloud cover (which, when you're in it, is like "Scotch mist" in that everything slowly becomes damp). The -4 failed with a set of old batteries in it, but when I yanked 'em out and put new silvers in, it came back to life. Temperature on that mountaintop that day was about +8 Celsius.

I've never used my OM-4 outside in the winter for extended periods of time, but my OM-1n has worked flawlessly. The *film,* on the other hand... :-/

Garth