RE: [OM] What to buy?

Subject: RE: [OM] What to buy?
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:44:25 -0700
I have a B&L Discoverer scope with a camera adapter and as I recall it gives
a pretty good image out to about 30x and deteriorates quickly after that.
Using a camera on a spotting scope requires strong light and the image
quality is less than what you get from a fine camera lens. You might do well
with the Zuiko 300mm f4.5 and a 2XA extender. My tests with this combination
produced very sharp images. As others have pointed out to you, even 600mm
would require frequent cropping to get reasonable frame fill with small
birds. Using a blind can get you up closer if that is a possibility.  /jnm