Re: [OM] Nice 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zuiko vs 35-70 F4, Modern Photo. Tests

Subject: Re: [OM] Nice 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zuiko vs 35-70 F4, Modern Photo. Tests
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:48:43 EST
In a message dated 2/22/01 1:40:02 AM Central Standard Time,
pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Careful interpretating the Modern data. Don't use the words Ex, VG, Hi,
>  etc. since there is a 6 year time span difference and the criteria
>  changed. Plus they are film based tests with film improvement happening
>  over the course of their testing. (Have we heard "confounding" here
>  before!)  Furthermore, I really think Modern had a bum sample of a
>  f/3.6, since mine (see my lens tests) doesn't deteriorate towards the
>  long end the way their sample clearly did. Also, Modern obviously didn't
>  have a body that offered automatic diaphragm prefire, even though
>  Herbert Keepler was writing that it was an issue. When I said about the
>  f/3.6:
>  "Greatly benefits from using mirror and diaphragm prefire [when used] on
>  a tripod"
>  I really mean it.

Gary,
I saved copies of many of the Modern Photography lens tests on Zuikos and
some other brands. Are the lines per millimeter test results sometimes
published in today's Popular Photography comparable to the l/mm results
Modern Photo. published? The test results for the Sigma and Vivitar lenses
published in this month's Popular Photography have fairly low corner results
when compared to the Zuiko 85-250 tested by Modern Photography. I've
considered the Modern tests to be a great reference source (along with your
test results) when contemplating purchases. If list members would like to see
spectacular test results for a Zuiko, look at the Modern test of the 180F2.0
( Oct. 1986) and then compare those numbers with the Nikon 200 F2.0 test( May
1981). Yes, I know test results are not the only indicator of a useful lens,
but some numbers are so spectacular they deserve notice. At an All Star
basketball game last night, this lens along with the Oly 1.4 was mentioned by
a Nikon shooter as an awesome lens combination- compact, long enough, and
razor sharp.

Gary Faulkenberry