Re: [OM] om-2n..should I get one

Subject: Re: [OM] om-2n..should I get one
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:29:09 -0800 (PST)
William Clark wrote:
here is Canada I can purchase an om2n for $257.59 Canadian dollars.
The
U.S. equivalent is about $165.  I already have an om1n, which is good.
I am just wondering if the om2n would also be good to have since it has
an automatic function on it.  The camera is in great shape.  I am
worried though that should anything happen to the circuit board inside,
then the camera will be rendered useless.  Any insight as to the
reliability of this camera versus the om1n?
William,

The OM-2n is a fine camera. It was top of the range in its day and was
considered a very capable camera for the professional photog. Some
beleive it was Olympus's best OM ever! The price you mention looks
pretty fair if the camera is in great shape.

I've found the 2n to be very reliable. Also, I believe spares are still
around if it should develop a problem (unlike the 2S, for example). I
keep a 2n as back-up for my 2S (although the 2S has been so reliable it
hasn't actually needed a back-up yet!). Batteries in the 2n last a year
or more but you must use silver oxide only (357, SR44, etc.) and
remember to switch it off when you're not using it. If you forget to
switch it on, BTW, it will default to AE mode without activating the
meter display in the viewfinder, and will not use a shutter speed
slower than aboutg 1/30 sec. but you will usually get what you want.

I use my 2n occasionally, just to keep it exercised and to check that
it's OK. Mine will need a foam replacement soon, judging by the
gumminess of the seal next to the back hinge. That seems to happens,
eventually, to most older cameras. You might like to check the foam
seals in your example.

AE is the native mode of the 2n, IMHO, and it's very accurate. You just
have to be aware that the integral metering can cause under-exposure
with bright skies but you're probably used to that problem anyway. The
2n's compensation dial can be used to deal with exposure problems
(bright sky, snow, etc.) and is easy to use. TTL flash also works well
with the T32. A drawback, for some people, is that the 2n has no mirror
lock-up or prefire; however, this probably won't matter to you if
you're not into macro or very long lenses.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the camera if you decide to buy it.

Regards,

=====
Ray