Re: [OM] Tamron 90mm / f 2.8 1:1 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 90mm / f 2.8 1:1 macro
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:54:48 EST
In a message dated 2/14/01 12:25:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, xyyc@xxxxxxxx
writes:

<< Does anyone own this lens and care to opine on its performance and
 possibly compare it to the 90mm / f 2 Zuiko macro?

 John Hudson
 Vancouver, BC >>

John,

I've got them both.  I really haven't had a chance to do side-by-side
comparisons, but magazine test reports indicate the Tamron is a fine lens,
and so do the results I've seen.  Physically, the Tamron is lighter, and the
focusing ring turns easier than my 90 f/2, but despite this it still feels
like a high quality, precision lens.    The Tamron has an advantage in that
it goes to 1/1 without additional extension, and also comes with a deep,
bayonet mounting lens hood.  As a final benefit, it uses 55mm filters, common
to many other of our Zuiko lenses.

I like a lot.  Easily the best alternative to the 90 f/2, and usually much
cheaper.

Regards,

Greg Logiodice
<A HREF="http://www.gplphotography.com/";>Photography by G. P. Logiodice</A>