Re: [OM] Olympus Om 35-105 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Om 35-105 lens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:27:36 +0000
At 00:08 2/16/01, John Duggan wrote:
  Does this lens seem good value for money? Is the small scratch likely to
affect performance ? I assume that the odd feel to the aperture ring was
caused by lack of use, it seems fine now. Diaphram works fine, no oil on
blades etc.  Any advice gratefully recieved...
                                       Regards, John Duggan      Wales

John,
I'm a believer in primes, but I've had one of these for several years and it's my only zoom lens. It is surprisingly excellent. If it were a stop faster, it would be superb! I bought mine with a little trepidation because it is a 3X and has a comparatively large number of elements. After pushing a couple rolls of film through it, I was very pleasantly surprised; excellent resolution and outstanding contrast. It's one of the heavier Zuiko Zoom's but the extra range extending out to 105mm comes in very handy when it's used as a "walk-around" lens. If I can only take one body and one lens, it's usually this one or a 50mm.

I recommend trying it for the two weeks and shooting it under some conditions which might flare the scratch to see what it will do. Shoot some transparency with it if you use transparency film. Just one warning. If you do try it out, you'll probably keep it, so start stashing the shillings and pence for it now.

-- John