Re: [OM] 35RD

Subject: Re: [OM] 35RD
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:11:16 -0000
I asked
: Some info sources say that the lens cap works as the off-switch for
: the camera. Does anybody know how it does this?

and HansvV answered
:The light meter sensor is covered by the cap; in the dark it does not
:consume battery power.

and Jay Maynard added
:The latter. The 35RD, like the 35RC, uses a CdS meter cell, whose
:resistance increases as the light gets dimmer. In darkness, it
reaches
:its highest resistance; while not infinite, it's enough to keep the
battery
:good.

Thanks Hans and Jay (and anyone else who may have answered later). I
wondered a bit because I have an RC (bought new in about '75) which
has an "off" position on the aperture ring. Presumably by the time the
RD was developed they decided it wasn't needed.

 It's nice and simple, isn't it. I'll keep the original cap as a
"collectible"
and stick with the plastic one in use.

John