Re: [OM] A Flatbed Question

Subject: Re: [OM] A Flatbed Question
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:05:21 -0500
Sorry for the late reply but I'm several days behind reading digests
since I've been spending many hours getting my new Win 2000 machine up
and running.

Don't despair just yet on getting the UMAX 1220s running on ME.  When I
was considering the move to Win 2000 from Win 98 I checked UMAX's web
site for driver availability.  Their pretty dumb application said that
there was no driver for Win 2000.  What that actually means is that
there was no driver available on UMAX's web site... the reason being
that the necessary driver is included on the Win 2000 distribution disk
(found that out at Microsoft's web site).

Anyhow, I finally decided to go Win 2000 over Win ME since, whenever I
located an incompatibility or something that required an upgrade for Win
2000 it seemed that the same was required for ME.  So... I would not be
surprised if you discover that the 1220s compatible driver is on the the
Win ME distribution disk just as it is for Win 2000.

I still haven't got around to installing scanners yet but am assuming
that the UMAX 1220s and the Acer Scanwit 2720s will both be working OK.

Good luck, hope it works.
Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

C.H. writes:

<< I have a 42 bit UMAX 1220s, the noise is very high for slides and it
cannot retrieve the shadow details very well. >>

Hum, I picked up a 1200S with transparency adapter for $35, but there is
no Windows ME compatible driver. I guess I won't look much more into
getting this up and running if I just end up with noisy scans from 120
panoramic trannies.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV