[OM] Olympus Parts Supply

Subject: [OM] Olympus Parts Supply
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:32:15 -0000
Hi,

You haven't dealt with the Olympus parts department have you? :-) All this 7 year parts supply is great in theory, but in reality it doesn't work that way, at least not for Olympus.

[...]

The parts department manager has been trying to get parts for me directly from Japan for 3 months. Still no luck.

Tell me about it :(
It's been some 9 months now that Patrick Johnson very kindly ordered two replacement 28/2 (MC) front elements from Oly America. They had one in stock, and the other one has been back-ordered ever since. Each time Patrick inquired Oly said "the part will arrive around the end of this month". Well, apparently (again) they're due to arrive by now, but then, if again they haven't, we're thinking about cancelling the back-order and buying the element from Photosphere in Dallas (where Clint came across one at a slightly higher price).

Bottom-line: you might be in for a long wait when these parts have to be back-ordered. In such a case, it might be better to try to track down the same lens part at a different repair location.

Ah, Mark: congrats in finding the 35-80/2.8 at that price; with that truly amazing find I think you'll be 2001's president of the DF club of great steal-deals! :) Enjoy the lens, it's a joy to use, and I know you'll love it too!!!

Cheers!
Olafo