Re: [OM] Update: Resetting an OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] Update: Resetting an OM-PC
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:38:12 +0000
At 17:15 2/10/01, Clint wrote:
The only long-term reliable solution is to have the camera disassembled
and get this magnet assembly cleaned -- a full overhaul, of course.  But
you _might_ get it to break loose for a while by smacking the camera
firmly against the palm of your hand.  (Now, now, now -- it's a sturdy
beast, a firm >>whack<< or two (or ten!) won't hurt it!  Just don't
leave a lens on it when you do!)

If this _does_ release the mirror, make a habit of _not_ winding the
camera until just before you want to take a shot (off the top of my
head, I don't recall for sure if leaving the camera un-wound keeps this
magnet/armature separate, but it might).  That is, until you've had the
camera overhauled -- then don't bother, it's extremely rare to see this
happen twice on the same camera.

Clint (and Chris):
If the magnets are anything similar to the OM-10 in concept of operation, I found with mine . . . which stuck horribly after being stored for a long time . . . work fairly well after putting a Winder 2 on it and firing it about 500-600 times. Then I always left it stored without it wound to the next frame. If I forgot, the first couple of frames might overexpose slightly. That worked quite well until for a number of months I could send it for a CLA.

-- John