Re: [OM] getting [OT] - anyone knowsanything?

Subject: Re: [OM] getting [OT] - anyone knowsanything?
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 08:16:30 -0500
> Enough
>consumers want "Plug 'n Play" that marketing departments are willing to
>sell them the dream they can have it with the latest and greatest product
>being offered.  That is what marketing is . . . the selling of a dream
>(vision ??) to potential customers to entice them into being customers.  Is
>that dream ever completely fulfilled after the sale?

I am of two minds about this. On the one hand, the fact that many people are
feeling that anything "new" is "better" is a very nice progressive attitude.
I like that kind of attitude, where there's hope for the future, things are
looking up, etc. On the other hand, I *know* that "new" is not necessarily
"better", just maybe fashionable, but I am not comfortable being regressive.
Regressive attitudes are what killed some things that I hold dear, like
Prairie School architecture and Abstract Expressionism, for example.

Or the concept of "free time"....where we actually had time to enjoy life...I
think that was before computers were everywhere....maybe not....

Hmmm, 389.95$ for a new OM-1 in 1973, which is 1500$ now, give or take. Are
we really making progress?? I mean, there were many OM-1's sold to amatuer
photographers back then. How many amatuers buy brand new OM-4t's??? Not this
one unfortunately. Why are we loosing ground financially???
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright