Re: [OM] OT - N*k*n FM3A

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - N*k*n FM3A
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:29:22 +1100
>The idea of a student camera is rather curious to me. It  seems to me
>to be a basic manual focus camera with some sort of automatic or
>semi-automatic exposure system that is built and priced so cheaply
>that a student can afford it and hopefully it will last long enough
>to take mediocre pictures for the class. Once the student has
>"learned" photography he/she can then buy a grown up camera which
>requires no knowledge at all to operate and which will never be
>operated manually.  Why not start with a point and shoot or with a
>good manual camera to start with? The cost of the so called student
>camera added to the cost of the subsequent, even inexpensive camera
>would be enough to buy a very nice camera.
>Winsor

The normal meaning of a 'student camera' is a robust, good quality manual
system camera which a student can use to learn photography and then either
extend upwards or outwards. K1000's are favoured as they are common, almost
indestructible, have good quality lenses available at moderate cost. Other
good choices would be Nikkormat, Minolta SRT, Canon A series - automatic
functions are generally avoided as students 'can't be trusted' to stay
manual. My school owns over 20 K1000's for student use, including early
Japanese models, later Chinese assembled versions and recent Pearl River
copies (Millenium, M1000). We had some Pentax ME Supers and Minoltas but
they didn't last the distance. The old 'K's' need little maintenance
despite chronic rough treatment.
There is a substantial trade in this type of camera. OM1's qualify but
lenses are a little pricier than the others.
Andrew