Re: [OM] Quick question on weight and batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick question on weight and batteries
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 19:58:25 +0000
At 23:56 2/6/01, Andrew Dacy asked:
So what I'm wondering is, where can I find specs online for the Olympus
bodies that include the weight? I've found the documentation archive and
that's given me the specs for a few bodies but I'd like a more complete
source if one exists.

See the OM eSIF (Sales Information File), a marvelous site with a wealth of specs, including the weight of every body and lens:
  http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif.htm

Also, the battery question. Which bodies have shutters that will work at
all speeds even with a dead battery? Which have shutters that will at
least 1 mechanical speed? Or to look at it another way, which bodies are
completely unusable when the battery is dead?

OM-1, OM-1n, OM-3, and OM-3ti:
All have completely mechanical shutters. All the batteries do is operate the metering in them. These are manual exposure control cameras (no AE mode).

OM-2S(or "sp"), OM-4, and OM-4T(or "ti"):
All have a mechanical 1/60th and "B" setting in addition to the electronic shutter speeds. (The mechanical 1/60th is in addition to the electronic 1/60th.) There is an interlock on the shutter speed ring (around the lens mount) to keep you from accidentally rotating it into one of the mechanical positions, unless you depress a very small button on the lens mount next to the shutter speed ring. (It's hard for me to imagine accidentally depressing it due to its location.)

However, a flash will not fire properly using the mechanical 1/60th unless there are good batteries in the camera. All these have an aperture priority AE mode that measures light TTL and off-the-film during the exposure in addition to a manual mode. The OM-2S also has a "Program" mode which will set both aperture and shutter speed using a predetermined "program" hardwired inside its electronics.

OM-2 and OM-2n:
All the shutter speeds on these two bodies are electronic (with the exception of "B" ???).

-- John