Re: [OM] Lens Cleaning/ OT Global warming

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Cleaning/ OT Global warming
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:52:02 -0500
>Just a random thought here...  There is evidence that
>cleaning the emitions from factories actually
>increases the problem of greenhouse gasses.  You see,
>when the heavy particulates are separated from the
>gasses the gasses are more apt to rise higher and stay
>aloft longer.  But everybody is happy since the air is
>"clear" and not smelly.

Yeah, and soot does *not* enhance rainfall, just the opposite. You'd think
that dust would help the clouds unload, but no, the latest research that I
read awhile ago did a study on it. Also, a recent article said that the
current trends in global weather changes would make the eastern and midwest
US colder, but other areas hotter, at least as recall off the top of my head.
Go figure.....

>Nice to see that there is one other person (Dirk) who
>is a tree-ring guy.

thanks. You may find this web site interesting:
http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/

>There aren't many of us.  Up in
>Michigan the sand-dunes migrate and they will reveal
>ancient forests buried many hundreds of years ago.
>These dunes can move pretty quickly.  Between
>1977-1980 six houses were swallowed by the dunes
>during the winters.  One disappeared overnight when
>the dune advanced nearly 60 feet during a storm.

wow, I hope the folks got out in time! Attack of the killer sand dunes!

>The mistake scientists make when looking at geologic
>events is that they apply "current rate of change" to
>major earth events.  For example:  According to common
>wisdom, the Grand Canyon took millions of years to
>form.  I humbly submit that this is entirely
>incorrect, as the erosion pattern is not that of slow
>wear, but that of a cataclismic event with the
>draining of an entire sea.  This could either be the
>Biblical flood or it could have been a sudden rising
>of the region above sea level.  The evidence of lush
>vegitation in the area indicates a wetter environment
>which would have formed gentle hills and valleys, not
>a canyon.

I would agree with that. That must've been a heckuva flush!

The more I know, the more I don't know......
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright