Re: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming ho

Subject: Re: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming hobby
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 07:56:49 EST
Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Actually, along these lines, I was thinking about using Access for
 cataloguing my slides and negatives. Trouble is, I'm having a devil of a
 time working out why I need a relational database to do this. I'm trying to
 work out what tables I need,  >>

After downloading Tom's database (wonderful!) last night, I started thinking
of everything I could inventory with it..I've got over 1500 record albums to
catalog, so that's a "for sure". Then I thought maybe my vintage sewing
machine collection, and of course the 7000 slides from '75-'79...but since
most slide scanners come with an archiving program of some sort, I feared it
would be redundant..but then, I seem to remember reading that most of those
programs only hold so much data befre cutting you off...

I suppose we could arrange the fields by type (nature, action, travel
location,etc) or by years..or by expeditions..but many great slides are taken
on the wing around the home..

Fpr those of you that have maintained physical inventories over the years of
your slides..how have you categorized them??

Susan Steele
Virginia USA
"God grant me the senility to forget the people
   I never liked anyway, the
   good fortune to run into the ones that I do,
   and the eyesight to tell the difference."
                   ( Senility Prayer: Author Unknown)