Re: [OM] Olympus prices in 1972

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus prices in 1972
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:10:30 -0800
msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

 I do have the receipt for my OM-2S I bought new in 1986 and
  still can't believe it was only ~$200.00 (body only)...shoulda bought a
  six-pack huh.

That is surprising, given the prices quoted earlier for OM-1s.  Is this price
typical of what others paid for OM-2S bodies?

Rich

I have a Petersen's Photgraphic magazine from Feb 1984 with an article on the new OM4 which listed for $685 for the body only. Amazingly, almost no ads in the issue. One for Photron says "call for price", but an OM 1N body was $149 and OM 2N body was $219.

My Dec 1980 issue of Modern Photography has a B & H ad which lists the OM1N, with shoe, for $185.50 and OM2N, with shoe, for $322.50.

So maybe back then maybe Oly actually reduced prices on the old models to clear them out, unlike today when they just raise the price of the new model to clear out the old one.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA