Re: [OM] Re: philosophy of choosing brands of tools

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: philosophy of choosing brands of tools
From: Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:11:22 -0800
miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Nick wrote:
>
> >My OM-1n is *NOT* 'just a tool'
> >
> >It *IS* a work of art!
> >
> >   -Nick
>
> Both of my OM-1n's, as well as all of my other cameras in all of their
> various formats, are merely tools to facilitate putting what I hope to be
> works of art on the walls. If I seriously thought for a moment that the
> cameras were the 'objects d' arte' then I would put them on the walls, sell
> the darkroom, and move on to doing something else. There's apprecitation
> for finely crafted instruments, and then there's asphyxiation by
> instrumentation. In the end, cameras are controlled light traps. They vary
> in their range of control and their ability to trap light, but in the end
> they are merely traps. The trap I hope I never fall into is the trap of the
> trap itself.

The EOS-1vHS with some C*n*n long "L" glass is an excellent
tool, certainly more capable that the OM-1, but it truly is
"just a tool" ... whether it is in the hands of an artistic
professional, such as yourself, of in the hands of a rank
amateur ... it is only a tool ... a controlled light trap.

Mike, you have my deepest sympathy!  It must be terrible to go
through life unable to fully appreciate the true "objets d'art"
of the world; tools with a beautiful simplicity and totality
of efficacy.  Tools such as the OM-1, the Zippo lighter, the
Lego block ... superbly simple, absolutely functional!

  -Nick