[OM] Re: philosophy of choosing brands of tools

Subject: [OM] Re: philosophy of choosing brands of tools
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:41:37 -0500
Nick wrote:

>My OM-1n is *NOT* 'just a tool'
>
>It *IS* a work of art!
>
>   -Nick

Both of my OM-1n's, as well as all of my other cameras in all of their
various formats, are merely tools to facilitate putting what I hope to be
works of art on the walls. If I seriously thought for a moment that the
cameras were the 'objects d' arte' then I would put them on the walls, sell
the darkroom, and move on to doing something else. There's apprecitation
for finely crafted instruments, and then there's asphyxiation by
instrumentation. In the end, cameras are controlled light traps. They vary
in their range of control and their ability to trap light, but in the end
they are merely traps. The trap I hope I never fall into is the trap of the
trap itself.

Mike Swaim