Re: [OM] macro questions

Subject: Re: [OM] macro questions
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:22:39 EST
In a message dated 1/31/01 7:56:24 AM Pacific Standard Time, dtlocke@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> 2) How does one set up from macro shots of horizontal subjects in the field
(
> flowers from above, I was trying to shoot lichen on rocks and had a
difficult
> time)?  Is there a particular tripod/head combination designed for this?

I don't know the answer to the Vivitar macro converter quality question but
there are several set ups one can use for vertical orientations of the
camera. One some tripods, the column and the head can be reversed so that the
camera is pointed down and is positioned between the legs. Bogen makes an
adapter that can clamp on your tripod leg and add a head to that device. Some
Bogen tripods have vertical arms also. The Benbo/Unilok tripods are ideally
set up for unusual angulations.

You might have trouble looking through the viewfinder at the unusual angles
so you might consider a Varimagni finder which will help you avoid neck
strain.

Another problem is focusing when you are attached to a tripod. Here a
focusing rail comes in very handy.

If you want to handhold, it might be best to use a flash. You might want to
glue a styrofoam plate to an "A" or "P" sized Cokin adapter ring along the
lines of the "pantry" thread a couple of days back. There are a variety ring
flashes, dual macro flashes available from not only Olympus but also third
party mfrs.

Good luck,

Warren