Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle media

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle media
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 06:53:38 EST
Barry,
You've certainly clarified what I was trying to say. As I've been a police
officer for 26 years, you can appreciate that I certainly wouldn't have a
great deal of sympathy for the "sensationalist" media. I've dealt with far
too many accident and crime victims over the years and batted heads myself
with the press on many occasions. I certainly don't think there's a need to
hear every last word of Ms. McAuliffe's, but I don't want the fact that those
words or actions may or do exist to be kept from the public. That's all.
I know this thread may be wearing on some, this is the last I'll post unless
it's a response to someone, but there IS some OM-relevance here, for don't we
all, as photographers, benefit from an open, free press? We could logically
surmise that it would be a couple of small jumps from- "No photos of accident
scenes" to, like in some countries- "No photos of government buildings" then
what? "Apply here for your official photographer's permit?"

George S.

bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I suspect that you, along with many others on the list, have entirely
 missed both Geo S.'s and Sam's points. The fact that there were "last
 words" over some unknown period of time from Ms McAuliffe is what is
 important - not necessarily what those words were. There are far too many
 people out there deciding what is "best" for all of us to either hear or
 see and __ gee whiz it just happens to suit their motives. Sorta like
 Olympus - rather than keep us, the users, informed about what is going on
 with the SLR line they use every tactic in the book to keep us uninformed.

 Freedom of the press, while very necessary, is an oft abused comment. With
 every freedom comes responsibilities - something far too many of the so
 called journalists out there fail to understand. The comment is used more
 often to hide behind shoddy journalism. Unfortunately we end up protecting
 the "sensationalists" in order to get the gem who does uncover serious
 wrong doing and then puts it before the public. Correct the quote but as I
 recall it " True evil is when good men do nothing".

 Barry H