Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle media

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle media
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:50:57 -0800
At 10:59 PM 1/29/01 -0600, m. bachofen wrote:

>This post was addressed to Jay, not the list.  Why?  I, too, am against
censorship.  I believe that freedom of speech should be protected, as well
as the freedom of the
>press.  Some things, however, are simply bad taste.   Publicizing the last
words of Christa McAuliffe as if they will somehow provide the world _any_
needed insight is
>one of those things.

I suspect that you, along with many others on the list, have entirely
missed both Geo S.'s and Sam's points. The fact that there were "last
words" over some unknown period of time from Ms McAuliffe is what is
important - not necessarily what those words were. There are far too many
people out there deciding what is "best" for all of us to either hear or
see and __ gee whiz it just happens to suit their motives. Sorta like
Olympus - rather than keep us, the users, informed about what is going on
with the SLR line they use every tactic in the book to keep us uninformed.

Freedom of the press, while very necessary, is an oft abused comment. With
every freedom comes responsibilities - something far too many of the so
called journalists out there fail to understand. The comment is used more
often to hide behind shoddy journalism. Unfortunately we end up protecting
the "sensationalists" in order to get the gem who does uncover serious
wrong doing and then puts it before the public. Correct the quote but as I
recall it " True evil is when good men do nothing".

Barry H