[OM] Subjective Lens analysis

Subject: [OM] Subjective Lens analysis
From: "Albert Yang" <albert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 03:34:40 -0800
Well, I brought all 3 lenses I had with me to Taiwan...

Zuiko 28mm f/2.8
Zuiko 50mm f/1.8
Tokina 90mm f/2.5

My favorite of the group is the Tokina 90mm, followed closely by the
50mm.  The 28mm was not as sharp, and the colors were not as good as
the 50mm.  The 50mm is probably the sharpest lens I've ever seen in
my life!!  The color balance is very good (although I think Leica has
the best color balance) but this lens for like $20 is the best
bargain on the planet.  If I knew someone who wanted to get started
in photography, and Om-1n +  50mm had got to be the best bang for the
buck..

The tokina 90mm is incredible.  the portrait shots are stunning, the
only complaint I have about it is that the focus is a bit too loose
for me, if it was a bit more viscous, it would be perfect.  Crystal
clear lens, very sharp (Tokina are the ex-Nikon guys, so they know
what they are doing...) and the macro shots are just incredible.
Beautiful color saturation, and paired with Fuji Superia, makes for
amazing photos...

The 28mm is decent, but a slight disappointment.  I don't know if the
24mm would have faired better or not, but the 28mm has a bit of
distortion, and the sharpness was horrible compared to the 50mm and
the Tokina.  The only thing I can say on it's behalf is that the FOV
is very good coverage, enough to cover most of what is needed, but
not too much so that you are afraid to take pictures with a lot of
horizontal lines.

Albert