[OM] The joy (and pain) of living in NY

Subject: [OM] The joy (and pain) of living in NY
From: "Michael Virsinger" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:03:28 -0500
The wife (Angela) and I packed up some photo gear and head into Manhattan to
do some photography today. She with he N*k*n and me with my trusty OM gear.
I had to laugh at the size of our camera bags. I packed an OM-1n, 75-150/4
zoom, 40/2 and a 28/2.8 in a small Tamron bag. Her bag was twice the size
and twice as heavy with her F100 and a 35-70/2.0 zoom and a 105/2.8
tele/macro. Needless to say, I had a wider range and half the bulk which
really made a difference after hours on the street (much to my delight!).

On the way in, we decided to stop in B&H Photo to pick up some film and
other bits. One word of caution here - entering in this Mecca of photo gear
is dangerous, very dangerous. Everything is on display for you to fondle and
drool over. We stopped by the 35mm counter and I decided to pick up a 2-13
screen for my 4Ti that is on it's way from Germany (any day now, any
day....). While I was there, I asked if I could take a look at the display
model, having never actually held one before. The next thing I knew, I had 2
3Ti's, and a 4Ti on the counter with the 90/2 and 35-80/2.8 zoom all for me
to play with as long as I wanted. Not a very good thing for a certified
Zuikoholic. The helpful counter person did not rush me and answered any
questions I had. I ordered the screen and some film and Angela commented how
this was the first time she ever got out of there for under $200. Well, I
lingered a bit more at the Oly counter and she came back with a new camera
bag. While that was being added to the list, I remembered that I needed (or
should I say wanted) a new lightweight tripod. Needless to say by the time
all was said and done $300 had gone out the window before we took out first
shot.

By the time we emerged from the clutches of the store the light was getting
low, so we hustled down to Washington Square Park. Being typical NYC, the
photo shoot was not without it's own story, but that's for another time...

The moral - NEVER stop in to browse a photo mega store with ANY available
credit on your cards and only a few good hours of light left... From now on
I'll stick to eBay!

Mike V.
(I'm really not addicted you know. Doesn't everybody buy accessories for
camera's they don't own yet?)

Michael Virsinger
VirTech Solutions, Inc
1-800-VIR-TECH