Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:16:18 EST
In a message dated 1/24/01 11:42:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pklein@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The purpose of the trip is to see and experience Italy, so photography
>  should fit into, but not dominate it.

Well, Peter, with that philosophy, and your apparent lean towards taking your
OM gear, I would add only that maybe the addition of a monopod, as someone
else mentioned, might be considered, as both a good tripod substitute and
potential defensive weapon.  Potential thugs seeing you using it as a walking
stick/camera rest just might consider what you might be able to do with it,
if bum-rushed.

Awareness of your surroundings (the wife can do a non-chalant 360 lookout and
keep you appraised of the situation as you focus on picture-taking) and
attitude both go a long way toward keeping your possessions in YOUR hands.

Whenever I'm in "foreign territory" (and I'm speaking of certain
neighborhoods right here in the Seattle area, as well), I carry myself with a
posture, walk, and facial expression that broadcasts that I will kick the
living s**t out of anyone dumb enough to mess with me.  They may win, and get
my wallet, camera, or whatever, but they'll get very skinned up in the
process.  Most thieves are also cowards, and don't want to try someone like
that.  I'd rather not go around like that, but such is life today.  Think of
the stone face that Steve McQueen wore in "Bullett" or "Nevada Smith" -- he
was my model for coolness.  It works.  It's difficult to explain well, but I
"notice" the bad guy(s), to let them know that I know they are there, so they
won't think they can surprise me.  Then I continue on my way, with a "Don't-
mess-with-me" attitude, posture, walk, and expression.

Most thugs are very good at sizing up potential victims.  Anyone that they
think may be as strong or even weaker but willing to fight, they usually
leave well enough alone. A "bring it on, Punk" attitude stops 99.90f them
in their tracks.  Even if you are older.

Obviously, if they stick a handgun or knife in your face, new rules: hand it
over politely.

Insure everything.  Enjoy.

Rich