[OM] Re: [OT] Mad cows, Englishmen, case hardening and trick bits

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Mad cows, Englishmen, case hardening and trick bits
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:17:11
By custom made I mean truly custom made. From scratch. Film advance levers, rewind, shutter release buttons, whatever. That's how the custom gun trade has progressed (nope, I'm not inviting a discussion about guns, just using an example): hammers, sears, triggers, etc., for models popular with the competitive crowd are now available in titanium to completely replace the original parts.

Nothing wrong with your suggestion to anodize certain parts, tho'. Several years ago Springfield Armory briefly offered pistols with some pretty outrageous custom colors. Reportedly these were discontinued out of fear that children might mistake them for toys. Personally, I'd bet the reason is simply that too many shooters just laughed at the notion of a pink gun.

To be suitable for color case hardening a film advance lever, rewind assembly, etc., would have to be made of particular type of steel. Yeah, it'd add some weight, but think of the possibilities for one-of-a-kind craftspersonship: finely checkered thumb surface instead of plastic on an advance lever formed into an artistic design; engraved top surfaces on the levers (no dogs and ducks, please); how 'bout a fold-out rewind lever shaped like a lion's claw?

I'm fairly serious. What is stopping owners of expensive camera equipment from adding such personalized touches to their favorite gear? Many of us are also shooters and know that such customization is common in guns and knives. I've got to think it's only because there isn't anyone offering such work, not that there's no demand for it.

Now that I think of it...guess I'll need to learn how to remove the advance and rewind levers without damaging or marring anything.

Lex
===

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:25:49 -0500
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

...I don't think the process works on aluminum??
...get the aluminum bits anodized a custom color.....like pink or purple, or both.....<g>