[OM] Re: 350/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: 350/2.8
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:19:09 EST
No, Chris, I wasn't suggesting that eBay would be able to tell what one did
after they ended an auction early. And, no, of course no ebay cop is going to
investigate. Now you're either being silly, or deliberately trying to prolong
this discussion and turn it into an argument. I think it should just end
while there's no hard feelings on anyone's part.
I thought I was being clear when I commented I felt it was wrong and/or
unfair to all, especially the persons who may have bid on an auction, for a
bidder to just pull the plug on them and sell it outside of eBay to another
person. If eBay tells you at the moment of bidding that by bidding you are,
in fact, entering into a contract with the seller, then, why isn't the seller
also "bound" by a contract? I was not speaking from a "legal" sense in my
original posting, I was speaking from a "moral" sense that I felt it would be
the wrong way to sell an item by ending the auction prematurely *for the
reason John stated*. Also- look at all the instructions eBay gives you for
ending the auction early- you must go back and cancel EACH bid. When you do
that, you must give a reason. What if a bidder is really pissed at you? I
wonder if he could post negative feedback that he thinks you're a shithead
for wasting his time. Maybe he'll claim he missed out on another $4000 lens
by wasting time on your auction and he'll sue you because he needed a 350
lens for a photograhic assignment which he now couldn't deliver?! Sure, you
may disagree with me, but I'm only trying to point out how it "looks" to a
buyer. It's no way to prove you can be trusted, which was another concern of
John's in his posting. If you feel that it's OK to sell like that, then fine,
you stated so. I'll just never bid on or buy something from you, that's all.

Regards,
George S.
coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< On 25 Jan 2001, at 6:03, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

 > READ your sentence- "You no longer want to sell your item." NOT- "You no
 > longer want to sell it on ebay."

 Okay, you got me there on that one.  But, tell me, how is e-Bay going
 to know (or enforce) the person not selling it (period!) if they withdraw
 the auction???  Is an e-Bay cop going to come 'round your house in a
 few months to see if you still have it?  Do they have e-Bay spies reading
 every paper in the world to make sure you never place an ad for it in the
 local rag?  Will they monitor all your phone calls just in case you might
 try to sell it over the phone to a friend?

 Yeah, you're right...  that's silly!  So, for all practical purposes "no
 longer sell your item" implicity means "no longer sell it on e-Bay."

 Anyway, my point was that John was apologizing for suggesting he
 might do something that e-Bay allows....  stop his auction early.
 Therefore, there was nothing for him to apologize for.  And, given that
 the item is *his* until it's sold, IMHO he has every right to do so.

 Others, including you, might disagree and that's okay.

 Regards,

 Chris