[OM] Re: Pointers for Good Processing

Subject: [OM] Re: Pointers for Good Processing
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 05:58:08
Here are a few things I try to find out, usually by chatting casually with the lab tech or button masher or just by observing their workstation, rather than by firing a checklist of questions:

1. Does a factory representative or other technician periodically inspect and adjust the machine? How often?

2. How do they clean the lens, if it's necessary? I've actually seen some button mashers wipe their fingers over the lens!

3. Is a can of compressed air handy to blow dust off the negatives and inside of the machine?

4. How do they handle the freshly processed negative strip? Do they wear gloves? If not, are they careful to handle only the edges? I've seen some thumbskulls grab the negs between their paw, fumble them to the floor and proceed to "clean" them off by sqeegeeing the still-damp and vulnerable film between their thumb and forefinger, being sure to grind as much grit as possible into the emulsion.

5. Does the lab tech/button masher have any interest in photography? Any? None? None at all...not even an occasional photo of the baby or at Christmas? Okay, thanks, see ya later...

6. Does the lab have a policy of running prints through on full-auto, or actually sitting down at the monitor and evaluating each for color balance, etc.?

7. Does the lab tech/button masher even *know how* to make adjustments to color and brightness? I don't know how many I've met who insist it can't be done - 'til I show them how in the machine's instruction book. If he/she seems resentful to have received the info, bye, screw ya' later...

8. What's their attitude when you ask them to correct and reprint a photo? For example, even tho' I paid for a couple of reprints when a local Wal-mart screwed up the color, the button masher did it with a shitty attitude. Not a promising sign.

9. Finally, and most important, when you find that rare person who actually cares about making good prints for you, call him or her by name, say hi every time you go by the store, even if you don't have any film to process that day, and you might even consider writing a thank-you letter to his/her manager.

So, for all the world to see, "Hi, Rocky, of Eckerd in Lake Worth, thanks a bunch for your enthusiasm and expertise! You da' man!"

Lex
===

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:18:17 +0800
From: "JUANITA M. ALMEDA" <litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...Does anyone have a brief summary...of questions to ask the technician or what to demand to get a good result.