Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Cars and cats - was second body

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Cars and cats - was second body
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:54:10 -0600
Andrew Fildes wrote:

> You majored in Circus, Jerry? Good grief! And 'Gregor'? - what's wrong with
> 'Spot.'
> My Professors were a quiet bunch - a serious interest in Irish Whisky was
> as eccentric as they got. Of course, only the most senior academics are
> titled professor here so your guy probably wouldn't have survived long
> enough to assume the purple.
> Andrew

I was working on a PhD in molecular genetics at UNC.  The prof liked
bigcats so we were using DNA from mitochondria of various species of
carnivores, especially big cats to try and map their lineage.  Mike had
a Tiger (Gretchen), a Himalayan Moon bear (Jeff), a Jaguar (Gregor, as
in Gregor Mendel), a pair of Caracals, a Golden Cat, Ocelot, Jeffrys
cat, a herd of LLamas, African pigmy goats, a flock of Rheas, two Irish
Wolfhounds, an English Mastiff, and a miniature long haired Dauchshund,
among others.  It was always an adventure when cleaning day came.

Fortunately I had been a Zookeeper for a while after the Army so I knew
how to work with the animals, but it was a trip!

Jerry Liles