Re: [OM] Zuiko 24mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 24mm f2.8
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:28:59 +1100
>Also tightened the set screws under the rubber
>focusing ring.
>Only one niggle - the lens focusing ring, when focused at infinity as seen
>through the viewfinder, is very slightly off the infinity mark (about 2mm at a
>guess). Is this cause for concern?
>Mike Blayney, Devon, UK.

No Mike - had the same problem with an 85/2 recently which was way off. Go
back to those screws under the rubber focussing ring cover - they've
loosened/moved and allowed the focussing ring to creep off focus.
Put lens on body/tripod and aim at a target at least one kilometer away
(whoops - mile) and set lens as close to infinity focus as you can get.
Then loosen three of the screws leaving one on top tight. Loosen that one
until you can just move the ring without the focus changing - move the ring
until it indicates 'just under infinity' (i.e. 10m) on the scale. Retighten
the screw and check again for infinity focus through the viewfinder.
You may need to do this two or three times to get it right by trial and
error - I set a very distant target to show 'just over' infinity focus.
Once you've got infinity right, check close focus distances with a tape
measure.
Finally tighten all four screws (I found four) and put a dab of something
like clear nail polish on each to act as a sealant and locking adhesive.
This worked for me - I'd never done it before.
Good luck
Andrew