[OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement

Subject: [OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:33:33 -0000
Hi,

I've seen commercial sites that just don't allow images or subpages to be directly accessed from other domains, to prevent the advertisement banners to be skipped and the images be stolen by web copying software. Some sort of script running on the server, I guess.

Close...
It's actually the webserver software where things like this are configured. For example, It's possible to deny access to any and all files that do not have an HTM or HTML extension.

A script would offer no protection against a direct reference of a grpahic file, as no script is called upon directly referencing such a file.

The issue in preventing this, is that often hosting companies don't allow changes to their webserver configuration files, making it difficult/impossible/expensive to filter out the direct requests.

Cheers!
Olafo