Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions (again)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:36:08 +0000
At 05:21 1/19/01, Rich asked:
In a message dated 1/18/01 4:16:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Among my older
>  slides, I can easily tell which ones were shot with my 50/1.2 and which
>  ones were shot with a single-coated 50/1.8 I used to own.

How can you tell them apart, John?  Just curious.

It's most prevalent in the chromes with high detail subject material. I can see the resolution difference. The 50/1.2 has a crispness with ultra-fine detail the 50/1.8 doesn't have. The first impression is one of greater clarity in the image . . . more like real life. I would not denigrate the 50/1.8 . . . it has excellent resolving power and was surprising itself at times. It took slides projected with a good projector lens to see it . . . it was the switch from Kodak's standard f/2.8 4" projector lens to an f/2.8 Schneider-Kreuznach Prolux (on the same projector) when I began to notice it.

--John