[OM] [OT] The innards of a Minolta SRT-101

Subject: [OM] [OT] The innards of a Minolta SRT-101
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:57:57 -0500
I have a very pretty Minolta SRT-101 with 58mm f/1.2.  Given to me by my
father several years ago It was very seldom used before given to me and
never used at all since.  It has spent its last few years on the closet
shelf.  I take it down maybe once a year and cock and fire the shutter a
few times to satisfy myself that all is well.

Well, with all the discussion recently about the Oly 50/55mm f/1.2's I
decided that I ought to take another look at that 10 pound piece of
Minolta glass to see how usable it might be for available light work.

Well, I fired the shutter again and the mirror never came back down.
Nothing else seems to have gotten stuck.  The camera still winds on and
the shutter works normally but the mirror persists in staying up all the
time.

I took off the bottom plate to see if there was anything obvious that
was stuck but didn't see anything.  I thought maybe the second curtain
wasn't closing all the way but that doesn't seem to be true either.  Of
course, along the way I managed to make things worse by accidentally
releasing the shutter tensioning springs.  I wound them back up so the
shutter is working again but the timing is almost certainly off now...
if it was ever on in the first place.

Anybody got an idea what's holding this mirror up?  Can I get to it by
removing just the top or bottom cover or is it likely that the whole
mirror box has to come out.

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA