Re: [OM] Put your OM talent to use

Subject: Re: [OM] Put your OM talent to use
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:27:39 +0000
Mike,
Not a bad idea. One would have to feel comfortable with whatever "consignment" arrangement is made with the restaurant.

Another path I have been exploring is a local non-profit art co-op affiliated with the local Fine Arts Center. It's intended to enable beginning local and regional artists gaining exposure and providing a venue for sales (they operate a gallery). The reason for my interest is to raise funds in support of my. . . my. . . my. . . Zuikohobbyism.

This concept may exist elsewhere . . . it's something to explore for those interested in selling some of their work. Typical price for excellent 8x12 machine prints from a pro lab on Kodak or Fuji professional paper is under $6. An Ilfochrome that size will cost $35 to $50 from what I've found available (Ciba's have a *look* of their own though).

Framing is usually the costly part . . . and to sell something as a professional print, it should be framed as a professional print. The cost to me for a professionally framed 8x12 print into an 11x14 frame at a local hobby store (I pay for materials and they'll finish mounting it) is about $30. This includes a acid-free archival matte, UV-blocking non-glare glazing (this is good stuff), sealing the back with brown paper and hardware mounted to the back of the frame for hanging it. YMMV for costs depending on what resources for this are around you. Pricing your costs in your area first will give you an idea of how you will need to price your work to make something (or at least keep from losing money).

OM Content:
Just brought a framed 8x12 print of this image home this evening to be given later this year to my in-laws . . . it was done in their back yard last Summer:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om73.html

Hey, it not only makes points with the in-laws, but spousal-points with the better half. Provides ready argument that said gift could not possibly have been made properly without all the OM hardware I have, and reduces how many times I'm reminded about my photography expenses. :-)

-- John