[OM] Put your OM talent to use

Subject: [OM] Put your OM talent to use
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:50:26 -0500
I like to seek out funky little cafes and eateries that are off the beaten
path and that feature ecclectic cuisine. Quite often these type places have
works d'art by local artists and artiste wannabes. Naturally, I'm drawn to
the places that have lots of photos on the walls. Yesterday, when my lunch
companion suggested a local place I was taken aback that it was remarkably
close to where I work for me not to have already added it to my
ever-growing list of such places. But what's more, is that as I waited for
her I began really looking at the photos on display and was quite surprised
at their very ordinariness and overall lack of eye-grabbing appeal. There
were a few really standout images, but for the most part they were notable
for their lack of composition. It put me to thinking of another similar
restaurant that constantly has a variety of cibachromes forsale for prices
starting at $150 and going upwards. In all honesty I don't know how many
really get sold, for it seems that in the one case I've been looking at the
same pictures for years. But it occurs to me that given the level of talent
I've seen on web display from many members of this group that it's perhaps
worth suggesting this route to those of you that have a number of framed or
framable enlargements laying around collecting dust. While getting an
exhibit at the local gallery might be a bit tough, I'd bet that it's not
terribly tough to convince a restaurant owner with otherwise bare walls to
display a dozen or so framed prints for a few months.

My guess is that while the average patron waiting on a $6 burrito might not
be in the mood for a spur-of-the-moment purchase of a mediocre $150 11x14"
cibachrome, they might indeed go for a nice, eye-pleasing 8"x10" in the $35
to $55 range. If nothing else, simple contact information might generate
some local name recognition that might lead to who knows what.

Appologies if this idea is so old and trite that it makes you shake your
heads, but I thought it might be interesting as a confidence builder of
sorts. I've got no doubt whatsoever that there are many folks reading this
list that have shown considerably more talent than is evidenced by the
displays in some establishments.

Mike Swaim