[OM] Amatuer disguise and Nevereadies

Subject: [OM] Amatuer disguise and Nevereadies
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:22:55 -0500
At 01:24 AM 1/17/01 -0000, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:46:39 -0500
>From: Walt Wayman <HIWAYMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] What kinda never-ready case is this???
>
>Does anybody really use a camera case?  I've always believed that the two=
>
>surest signs of a genuine amateur photographer are: (1) a camera in a cas=
>e,
>and (2) a filter on every lens.

I've been known to take advantage of that bias. When I want to put a camera
in a bookbag or other non-dedicated photo gear carryall, I always use an
eveready case. To use it I pull it out ripping off the top cover as I
extract it. The bottom makes a nice handfilling grip for my med-large hands
to gain purchase on an OM-1n. That topic has been beaten nearly to death
here. But more recently, I've used the idea of looking like an amatuer or a
tourist to unobtrusively take some pictures that might've raised eyebrows
had I decided to appear more intent on getting the images. When I want to
look like I might have a clue what I'm doing, I get out the medium format
gear and a tripod. But for street photography and photography in museums
and religious buildings, sometimes looking like a hapless amatuer has it's
distinct advantages. Let's face it, few people today are likely to mistake
somebody with a diminutive OM body for a pro, when everybody knows that
pros use honking big "Pro" cameras like Nikons, Canons and medium formats.
The other thing is that in many neighborhoods, looking a bit dissheveled
with little apparent more than a dinky little camera in a dorky looking
case has it's advantages as well. So do sneakers and an exit plan, but
that's another story. One of the best impromptu photographers that I've
ever seen keeps a Leica in a brown paper bag in his jacket pocket. Grab
shots of people aren't my bag (so to speak), but I do like taking pictures
of buildings in a variety of settings where looking too serious might not
be wise.

As for filters on every lens. Colored filters for B&W are great, but IMHO,
UV filters are vastly overused. Most Zuiko lenses that I use aren't really
that expensive to replace and on my more expensive lenses, I didn't pay all
that $$ to have the image possibly compromised by some junk glass add-on.
One of what should've been my very best impromptu street shots was
hopelessly dimmed to low contrast when I took a once in a lifetime shot
with a pretty bad 67mm polarizer still on the MF camera. It wasn't needed
for that shot, but was still on the camera from some previous shots. Too
bad. That taught me that I only put filters on as I need them, and if I
have time to. 1st shot out is gonna be sans-filter if I can possibly help
it. If anybody needs a couple 49mm clear filters in exchange for an
eveready case (beat up is fine, as is aftermarket like Zing), then I'd be
happy to make an exchange.

Mike Swaim