Re: [OM] Film Development

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Development
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:49:24 -0700
At 08:36 AM 1/16/2001 -0500, John Hermanson wrote:
>Going back to my days in Photo Class, we were taught to do 10 complete
>changes, then a short soak in freshly mixed photo flo.
>The theory is that each time you fill and dump the water from the tank, 1/2
>the remaining chemicals are taken away.

Yes, the "8 to 10" rule is also spelled out in the Encyclopedia of Photography.
 Ilford's "The Manual of Photography" recommends 3 to 6 changes (the lesser
number being with extreme agitation or inversion, the greater without), whereas
Ilford's "Monochrome Darkroom Practice" claims that only three changes with
agitation are required for near-archival.

I'm assuming the "8 to 10" rule, particularly if used in conjunction with a
hypo clearing agent, would result in truly archival-quality negative washing.

Garth

Serendipity (noun): The act of searching for a needle in a haystack, and
finding the farmer's daughter.