Re: [OM] .......alcohol......

Subject: Re: [OM] .......alcohol......
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:50:47 -0700
At 10:32 PM 1/15/2001 +0800, TMLee wrote:
>What can I buy from the local pharmacy to clean my lenses with ?
>
>What do I ask for ?
>
>Is methylated spirit a 'no-no' ? Why ?

"Methylated spirit" is simply ethyl alcohol (the kind humans can drink) mixed
with methyl alcohol (the kind that causes brain damage and blindness when
ingested).  The spirits are "methylated" to keep people from drinking them.
Unfortunately, this doesn't stop many denizens of the inner city...

You can use methyl alcohol, 99 0sopropanol (the strong form of "rubbing
alcohol" [i.e., the 70tuff]), etc.  Anything that's relatively gentle and does
a reasonable job of cleaning gunk.  When I have a particularly tough job to do,
I use window cleaner ("Windex" brand here in North America), followed by methyl
alcohol.

I *don't* use the Kodak formulated stuff.  Always seems to leave streaks.

Garth