[OM] Re: Which wide angle?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which wide angle?
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:37:56 -0500
I'm a big fan of wide angle lenses. However, I think that they're at their
best when used in relatively tight quarters or fairly close up. Though
they're often chosen for landscape use, care must be taken in composing so
as not to wind up with quanities of images that try to encompass more than
the 35mm format can really show to advantage.

That being said, I've got the 19mm Vivitar fisheye, (not the 19-35 zoom
that was asked about). The number of times that I've used it is shockingly
low. When my only other wide was a 28/3.5, getting the 19mm made some
sense. But while it's a pretty decent value, it gives a good deal of
distortion, and really can't handle enlargements as well as less radical
wide angles.
After getting fixed lenses at 35mm, 28 (both 2.8 & 3.5), and 24mm, I find
that my use of the 19mm has basically dwindled to near zero. If the Vivitar
19-35mm zoom is indeed sharp all across it's range, then it might be a very
interesting solution. However, it would not be without tradeoffs and those
would likely come in terms of darkness, sharpness, resolution and increased
size. (Those are basically all the reasons that I don't personally think
much of many zooms.) If I had to pick just one from the above lineup it'd
be the 28/2.8 without any hesitation. Were I allowed 2, they'd be the 35mm
and 24mm.

Mike Swaim