Re: [OM] OT Windows 98 Defrag Problems

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Windows 98 Defrag Problems
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 23:30:36 EST
In a message dated 1/13/01 3:29:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx writes:

> when one attempts to start the Defrag it will begin with Checking
>  for Errors, do 2% and then go back to 0, doing this over and over.  We set
>  the computer to Defrag overnight, it never got past the point of Check for
>  Errors to begin Defraging.

Sounds as if you have something else running when you try to use Defrag.  You
don't want any other programs running.  You need to go to Start,  Settings,
Task Bar & Start Menu, click on Start Menu Programs, then click on Remove,
and get rid of whatever's there.  Apparently virus protection programs like
McAffee are a problem for Defrag.  I always have a devil of a time getting
Defrag to run without restarting over and over because something has managed
to get into the Start menu.  Don't know if this will work for you, but it
does for my computer.

Rich