Re: [OM] Yellow Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] Yellow Pics
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:04:08 +0000
Most color correction filters for anything other-than-daylight to daylight are pretty severe in correction factor. I try to do without them if at all possible, except for fluorescent lights. What can be a surprise is thinking you're shooting under household tungsten only to discover the incandescent bulbs were replaced with the power-saving fluorescent ones that screw into the bulb sockets. I now look to see what's in the lamps!

BTW, outdoors at night, nearly all streetlights are something other than tungsten, such as mercury vapor or carbon arc. They can produce odd (and sometimes ugly) color balance. Some like the warmer tones of avail. light under incandescents . . . but it does differ some depending on wattage and how much daylight there is coming through windows or skylights.

No, you're not going to find tungsten film at the grocery store . . . it's all pro stuff in the camera store refrigerator. Kodak now has a tungsten Portra and if you shoot chromes there are two speeds of tungsten Ektachrome. Under household incandescents, tungsten film can still have a very slight yellow/red cast, but it won't be nearly as much as with daylight film. Just remember you will end up with the opposite color balance issue if you use tungsten film under daylight or with your flash!

-- John