[OM] Rear lens cap > focusing loupe conversion responses

Subject: [OM] Rear lens cap > focusing loupe conversion responses
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:17:48 -0800 (PST)
Gary Reese spoke with experience:

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:43:35 -0800
> From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I've used various Zuikos as focusing magnifiers, but they make a poor
> substitute. (They get employed when I forget to bring it and when the
> real one ends up in Susie's bag from examining jewelry marks). They are
> too large for getting into the corners, as well as not focusing well
> when laying right on the groundglass. Even slide lopes have bases that
> are too wide. Do yourself a favor and pick up on made for the purpose.
> The narrower and longer the tube the easier to use.

and Chip Stratton spoke with ingenuity:

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:54:22 -0600
> From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
> You could also glue two regular lens caps back to back for  twice the
> thinckness.

Putting the two together, I think using two lens caps would be a poor choice
for ground glass focussing as the diameter against the glass would be the
width of the wide end of a rear lens cap in such a design. This would mean
I need to drill out two caps too!

I'll take Gary's warning seriously and try something with a very temporary
and narrow extension to see if I can be happy with a 50mm lens. I've heard
from other LF photogs that they have been happy with a 50mm lens, so I guess
there is individual preferences which I need to discover for myself. Thanks
for all the advice!

Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: