[OM] Sisyphean tripods

Subject: [OM] Sisyphean tripods
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:02:46 -0800 (PST)
> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:48:30 EST
> From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [OM] Tripods

> I would prefer something which does weigh a ton.  I've tried some cheaper
> ones and probably should have saved my money (although I did learn what
> doesn't work).  Any suggestions about specific makes and models would be
> appreciated.  I may have some cheap tripods for sale "cheap" in the future

It sounds like you want what the big boys carry ... err... drag.
some discussion on
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/
which is dedicated to large format photography.
They can get you heavy.

So far, I've been surprised by the stability of my recently acquired Slik
7000 Pro DLX (only 7 lbs / 3.2kg).
Despite the Slik's market specialization in flimsy and cheap,
this one's not too bad. Well under $200 ($140 at Adorama) new
with pan-tilt head.
Doesn't look very durable if that's a concern, but it is a pretty realistic
low-cost alternative to the standard Bogen/Manfrotto route.

You can get a used Ries for about $300 (not including shipping!!!)
if you really want weight. Or modify a
used surveyor's tripod to take the standard 3/8" head screw and be the envy
everyone!

You also want to identify whether you are mostly unsatisfied with head or
leg instability. Each calls for a different solution. I mostly have head
problems, not leg problems, but that's true for my own body too... :-)

=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: