[OM] Re: [OT] What is photography?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] What is photography?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:28:42
The graphic artist in me says it's valid.  But as photography...?

Some folks regard a quality flatbed scanner as the equivalent to a large format studio camera for still lifes and montages. I've seen some excellent work along this line. Heck, I've *done* some work like that, tho' my efforts have been spotty at best.

Hmm...I'd say it's photography if *any* use of the digital capture medium is photography, sure. What's the diff between a digital "camera" and a scanner? One has a lens, the other doesn't. A pinhole camera doesn't have a lens, per se. We could really split some hairs over this one.
Lex Jenkins
"Yeah. Me. Baby. Love. Dig. More. Night. All. You. She. Car. My. Her. Top. Down." - Assemble it yourself rock song

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:03:37 -0800
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I recently made some comments on the 'photo of the week' at www.photo.net that an image of a mushroom made by placing the mushroom on a scanner bed is not photography...I'd like to know what you think.